While reviewing resumes for job openings, use the following as a guideline to select the most qualified candidates for the interview process.
- Longevity with an employer.
- History of increased responsibility and/or promotion.
- Skills that match or are similar to those required for the position recruiting for.
- Experience within same or similar industry.
- Look for continued learning while employed. Taking courses, certificate programs, advanced degrees, etc.
- Industry awards or achievements.
- The resume. Look for consistent layout style, proper spelling and grammar.
- Numerous jobs within a short time span.
- Lateral moves.
- Limited or lack of experience or training within field required for the position recruiting for.
- Gaps in employment history that need explanation.
- Salary requirements too high.
- Reasons for leaving past jobs.
- Lack of positions using relevant experience/skills/training of the candidate.
- The resume. Sloppy, inconsistent or missing information, poor spelling and grammar.
- Overqualified by education or experience.
- Resume not in chronological order.
- Geographic location (commuting distance)
- Changing careers (not jobs)