Why Does a Company Need Written Personnel Policies and Procedures?
Written policies and procedures are an essential tool in the daily battle against the barrage of inquiries and complaints about pay procedures, promotion policies, vacation scheduling conflicts, turnover problems and grievance procedures–to name just a few.
Company policies set productive standards of conduct, create systems to deal with complaints, reduce faulty communications, and insure consistency in discipline, safety and work rules. Moreover, written policies help avoid charges of favoritism on the one hand and unfairness and discrimination on the other. Written policies and procedures help create and maintain a happier, more satisfied and more productive workforce.
Employee handbooks and policy manuals share the following objectives and uses:
- To serve as written declarations of a company’s commitment to fair employment practices and equal employment opportunity.
- To express the basic philosophies of senior management.
- To serve as basic philosophies of senior management.
- To provide employers with a systematic approach to effective employer-employee relations.
- To outline company rules and requirements.
- To clarify an organization’s expectations of its employees.
- To identify lines of authority and levels of responsibility.
In addition, an HR manual serves as a training resource for newly hired or recently promoted managers, reducing the risk of poor HR related decisions.
Handbooks also offer a brief history of the organization and a description of its primary products or services, outline the benefits and privileges of working for the organization, and identify the employer’s obligation to employees with regard to continued employment.
What Policies are Essential For Running an Organization Effectively?
- Introduction & Future Revisions
- Open Communication Policy
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Affirmative Action Policy
- Unlawful Harassment
Employment Policies and Practices
- Classification of Employees
- Promotions and Transfers
- Re-Hired/Converted Employees
- Job Duties
- Work Schedules
- Personnel Records
- Inspection of Payroll Records
- Layoffs and Work Reductions
- Employment Termination
- Severance Pay
- Exit Interviews
- Employment Verification and References
Timekeeping and Attendance
- Punctuality and Attendance
- Timekeeping Requirements for Non-Exempt Staff
- Meal and Rest Periods for Non-Exempt Staff
- Overtime and Make-up Time Provisions for Non-Exempt Staff
- Lactation Accommodation
- On-Call Duty
- Payment For Hours Worked During Business Travel for Non-Exempt Staff
- Pay for Mandatory Meetings for Non-Exempt Staff
- Payment of Wages
- Payroll Deductions, Wage Attachments And Garnishments
Standards of Conduct
- Professional Business Conduct and Ethics
- Employee Conduct
- Performance Evaluations
- Problem Resolution
- Policy Prohibiting Use Of Drugs And Alcohol
- Drug or Alcohol Rehabilitation
- Client and Public Relations
- Gratuities and Gifts
- Conflict of Interest
- Employment Of Friends And Relatives
- Media Contact
- Dress Policy
- Wearing Company Attire Off Duty
- Employer and Employee Property
- Computer, Telephone and Electronic Media
- Telephone Usage
- Computer Software
- Workplace Monitoring and Privacy
- Business Related Expenses
- Personal Use of Company Property
- Driving Record and Insurance
- Cell Phone Usage
- Health and Safety
- Smoking Policies
- Workplace Violence
- Off-Duty Use of Facilities
- Vacations or Paid Time Off
- Exempt Employees Time Off Policy
- Sick Leave
- Kin Care
- Insurance Benefits
- Domestic Partners
- Alcohol and Drug Rehabilitation Leave
- FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) and CFRA (California Family Rights Act)
- Pregnancy Disability Leave
- Workers’ Compensation Leave
- Workers’ Compensation and FMLA/CFRA
- Return to Work Policy
- Paid Family Leave
- Jury Duty or Witness Leave
- Time Off to Vote
- Military Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Volunteer Firefighters
- School Activities
- Time Off to Seek Safety From Domestic Violence or Sexual Assault
- Time Off for Victims of a Serious Crime
- Day Care and School Visits
- Receipt and Acknowledgment of Employee Handbook